McPherson Scots Talk The Clans and Associates of the McPherson Scottish Festival & Games

September 22, 2008

Clan Mac Farlane

Filed under: Clans — Clan Chairman @ 12:38 pm

Rick Miller was to be our Host Clan this year, but due to health reasons he will not be able to make it. We hope and pray that all is well with Rick and his family and hope to see him next year. Rick wrote the following message to the festival.

Dennis,  it tears me up to do this, but we will be unable to attend the festival this year.  My wife has just gotten out of the hospital and is very slowly recovering.  She’s just not going to be up to the trip and I depend on her to drive.  I hate to let you down–we all very much wanted to go, especially since we were to be honored.  I tell you, though, we still feel honored–your festival is the best, hands down.  Nowhere else do we feel so at home with a nicer group of people.  And you run things so well and are so masterful that it seems effortless (of course, we don’t see you sweating bullets and tearing your hair!).  If there were such a thing as professional clan organizer, you would be it.  Were you at Culloden, haggis would be England’s national dish!  Please accept my sincerest apologies for our not being in attendance.  Best wishes and take care.–Rick Miller, clan MacFarlane. “EDITED for PRIVACY”

Rick if you are out there we know you would have been a great Host Clan and we are sorry that you could not make it. We appreciate your works of kindness, but it is all of you that make my job easy and make the festival great.

John Little has volunteered to take your place as the host this year. He did so at short notice and we wish to commend Clan Little for all that they have done for the the festival.

2008 Scottish Festival is almost here.

Filed under: Festivals — Clan Chairman @ 11:08 am

This years festival is the “Year of the Children”, with the focus on the children with special events for the children. Starting with the McPherson Arts Council Children’s Choir performing  Friday night at 7 p.m. at the band shell in Lakeside Park as a part of the clan fire ceremony; Kris Thompson, choir director: kthompson@cpi-ks.com, admission is free. Scottish balladeer Alex Beaton will also perform and tantalize the crowd.

“The Scottish youth games will be a miniature of what the big guys do but at a safer level. There will be a caber toss using carpet rolls. A sheaf toss, that they throw with their hands (no pitch forks for children). A stone throw, and last but not least, races: three legged and potato sack races. There will be a liability waiver for parents to sign in case of injury. It will also be for the children’s train. After the form is signed the children will get a red wristband. We will also have balloons for kids instead of the passport tent having them. All children will get a ribbon for participating in the games. I hope that it goes over well and that the children have fun and want to come again.”

We have a record number of clans registered this year, Kudos to all of you for helping promothe our festival. We also are going to have a Rugby match to my understanding as well as several other new events this year.