McPherson Scots Talk The Clans and Associates of the McPherson Scottish Festival & Games

March 3, 2019

Larry E. Williams

Filed under: Festivals — Clan Chairman @ 2:24 pm

McPherson Scottish Society – Treasurer

Larry Emmett Williams, 82, passed into eternal life on Feb. 14, 2019, at his home in McPherson. He was born in Chickasha, Oklahoma, on July 11, 1936 to Zella (Venrick) and J. Emmett Williams. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Xan, his daughter Jesslyn of Tulsa. Xan was the committee chairperson for the sponsors that donated to the Scottish Festival.

Larry was the Scottish Society Treasurer along with Verla Thompson. He server on the board for 20* years and managed the taxes and kept the balance sheet for the McPherson Scottish festival. He also was very meticulous in counting every penny and insisted on counting and recounting the gate to make sure that all the money was reported correctly. Many of the people that were involved in the production of the festival did not see all that Larry did as he operated in the background ensuring that all the bills were paid. We were very thankful for all his efforts that he did for the smooth operation of the festival. Thank you and peace be with you.

John W. Ferrell

Filed under: Clans,Festivals — Clan Chairman @ 8:28 am

John William Ferrell, 88, of McPherson, KS, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, February 27, 2019, surrounded by family at McPherson Hospital. He was an educator and administrator at Central Christian College, McPherson.

He served in the United States Navy during the Korean War Era.

John was a member of the McPherson Free Methodist Church where he was chairman for the Finance Committee and the Facilities Planning Committee. He was past president of the McPherson Rotary Club, director and founding board member of the McPherson Scottish Festival and co-founder of the Highland Games, chairman of the board at McPherson Family Life Center, served on the board of Oakdale Christian Academy in Jackson, KY, and served on the board of directors at The Cedars. He was the “Hometown Hero” in 2002 by McPherson County United Way and McPherson Chamber of Commerce. 

I spent many years with John planning the Festival as the Clan Chairman under his leadership. He was very meticulous, and required perfection in how the festival was organized. He put together an outstanding team of up to 14 team leaders and managed up to one hundred volunteers to put on the festival. He and my father ,”Webb Clark”, were founding board members of the festival. John was also my neighbor living a few houses down the street, so we also became close friends. When he retired from the festival after 15 years of service, he mentored me to takeover the Chairmanship. It was always a pleasure and the great quality of the festival was due to his leadership. John will be missed as a friend and Scott.